Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
1977Grad

Idaho's 5-A (largest schools) Player of the Year offered PWO at Boise State

Recommended Posts

IDAHO 5-A PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Nick Romano, Rocky Mountain

The 5-10, 195-pound senior was a threat to take it the distance every time he touched the ball with his vision, toughness and home-run speed. He ran for a 5A-leading 2,221 yards and 32 TDs at 9.1 yards per carry. He committed to Idaho over Idaho State and Georgetown.

“Everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he stilled balled out,” Borah coach Jason Burton said. “He is the reason they are undefeated and state champs.”

The above came from the Statesman article on the top Idaho football players this year.  According to this he has committed to play for the Van-holes in Moscow.  But that is not indicated on his 247 webpage.  According to the latter he has only one offer (Idaho) but is uncommitted.

So apparently the very best player in Idaho can't get a scholarship offer from Boise State these days - just a Preferred Walk On offer.

Edited by 1977Grad
edit
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1977Grad said:

He committed to Idaho over Idaho State and Georgetown.

Dang.  

Looks like Keegan Duncan is the only player in Idaho with a FBS offer. (last year there were 7 that signed to FBS schools). There are already at least 2 in 2020's class that have FBS offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BSU plays the PWO game for logical reasons. I think we will see more locals, both PWO and schollys, as the population continues to boom.  Going to take awhile, though. 

Edited by grandjean87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1977Grad said:

IDAHO 5-A PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Nick Romano, Rocky Mountain

The 5-10, 195-pound senior was a threat to take it the distance every time he touched the ball with his vision, toughness and home-run speed. He ran for a 5A-leading 2,221 yards and 32 TDs at 9.1 yards per carry. He committed to Idaho over Idaho State and Georgetown.

“Everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he stilled balled out,” Borah coach Jason Burton said. “He is the reason they are undefeated and state champs.”

The above came from the Statesman article on the top Idaho football players this year.  According to this he has committed to play for the Van-holes in Moscow.  But that is not indicated on his 247 webpage.  According to the latter he has only one offer (Idaho) but is uncommitted.

So apparently the very best player in Idaho can't get a scholarship offer from Boise State these days - just a Preferred Walk On offer.

The best player in the state did get a scholarship offer and is committed to the Broncos. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The best player in the state did get a scholarship offer and is committed to the Broncos. 

Duncan probably is based on camp rating...you would know more than I...but, I bet there are a few that could play at BSU that will go missing.  I'm not up on the PWOs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Duncan probably is based on camp rating...you would know more than I...but, I bet there are a few that could play at BSU that will go missing.  I'm not up on the PWOs.

Duncan will likely get another bump and was not really a camp kid at all.  His ranking has more to do with his combination of size, speed and versatility.  This year there was a dearth of high end talent in the 2019 class.  Add to that the level of recruit we went after this year was significantly higher than ever and we have fewer schollys to give and what you see is only one kid in the state with an offer.  The coaches scout this state very well.  There are some higher end prospect in the gem state next year that will be receiving offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The best player in the state did get a scholarship offer and is committed to the Broncos. 

If you wish to believe that Keegan Duncan is the best football player in the State of Idaho this year that's your choice.  Personally tho I don't believe that any player who plays in the small schools against much lesser competition can realistically be called the best.   Especially a running back whose 40 time is either 4.67 (according to HUDL) or 4.79 (according to ESPN).    Did Duncan have a great HS career?  Sure he did - but so did Romano and Romano played against much more talented opponents and averaged over 9 yards per carry this season.

Either way it makes no difference.  You can believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.  To each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1977Grad said:

If you wish to believe that Keegan Duncan is the best football player in the State of Idaho this year that's your choice.  Personally tho I don't believe that any player who plays in the small schools against much lesser competition can realistically be called the best.   Especially a running back whose 40 time is either 4.67 (according to HUDL) or 4.79 (according to ESPN).    Did Duncan have a great HS career?  Sure he did - but so did Romano and Romano played against much more talented opponents and averaged over 9 yards per carry this season.

Either way it makes no difference.  You can believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.  To each their own.

Yeah, it's even worse with 8 man football.  There is no way that anyone playing 8 man football could ever play DI ball AND go on to the NFL.  Especially, from Idaho!! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Yeah, it's even worse with 8 man football.  There is no way that anyone playing 8 man football could ever play DI ball AND go on to the NFL.  Especially, from Idaho!! 

You know what they say about sarcasm   ........................................

I'm simply saying that the BEST player in the State is virtually always playing at the biggest school level - and that's not just here in Idaho.  That's USUALLY the case no matter what State you're talking about.   But hey - feel free to be sarcastic about that as well. 

P.S. If you are saying that Leighton Vander Esch was the BEST High School football player in the State of Idaho when he was a HS Senior - you'd be wrong about that.  The highest rated player from the State of Idaho who signed with Boise State in 2014 was Chase Blakely with a ranking of 0.8711 (3 Stars).  Leighton Vander Esch wasn't even ranked - at all - by what is now the 247 database.  They did have him listed (when it was Scout.com) tho

https://247sports.com/player/leighton-vander-esch-75745/

 

Edited by 1977Grad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 1977Grad said:

IDAHO 5-A PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Nick Romano, Rocky Mountain

The 5-10, 195-pound senior was a threat to take it the distance every time he touched the ball with his vision, toughness and home-run speed. He ran for a 5A-leading 2,221 yards and 32 TDs at 9.1 yards per carry. He committed to Idaho over Idaho State and Georgetown.

“Everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he stilled balled out,” Borah coach Jason Burton said. “He is the reason they are undefeated and state champs.”

The above came from the Statesman article on the top Idaho football players this year.  According to this he has committed to play for the Van-holes in Moscow.  But that is not indicated on his 247 webpage.  According to the latter he has only one offer (Idaho) but is uncommitted.

So apparently the very best player in Idaho can't get a scholarship offer from Boise State these days - just a Preferred Walk On offer.

Being a great player in Idaho high school doesn't necessarily translate into being a good FBS college player. Just like being a great college player doesn't necessarily translate into being a good NFL player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Being a great player in Idaho high school doesn't necessarily translate into being a good FBS college player. Just like being a great college player doesn't necessarily translate into being a good NFL player. 

Agree 100 percent with you on that.  And that applies to just about any sport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bronco355 said:

LVE wasn't he a great player in highschool, he turned out pretty good.Look at the talent Idaho has produced for BSU Efaw,shoemaker, shea McClellan,LVE,korey hall,nate potter,brotzman and others

... and you could rattle off 100s of kids that were great high school players and didn't go on to play FBS. It's not irrelevant, but it's just a fraction of what they look at in their evaluations. LVE was a long, athletic freak that switched positions in college. Long and athletic works at every level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 1:42 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There are some higher end prospect in the gem state next year that will be receiving offers.

UW already has a big OL commit from Middleton. I hope BSU offers Vallivue’s QB Larison - exciting player with D1 athleticism...not sure if he plays QB though in college.

This year is just weird though, very few “elite” senior players in Idaho it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few FCS kids this year, iirc. 

I still think we miss a few, at least over time,  as I’ve seen some pretty athletic kids get zero offers over the years. 

BSU plays the local angle pretty well for walk-ones. Mitch Burroughs helped coach at Meridian for one year after HS then joined BSU not playing until his 3rd year out.  He ended up a good contributor on some some very good teams. Shea Mc something similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, 1977Grad said:

You know what they say about sarcasm   ........................................

I'm simply saying that the BEST player in the State is virtually always playing at the biggest school level - and that's not just here in Idaho.  That's USUALLY the case no matter what State you're talking about.   But hey - feel free to be sarcastic about that as well. 

P.S. If you are saying that Leighton Vander Esch was the BEST High School football player in the State of Idaho when he was a HS Senior - you'd be wrong about that.  The highest rated player from the State of Idaho who signed with Boise State in 2014 was Chase Blakely with a ranking of 0.8711 (3 Stars).  Leighton Vander Esch wasn't even ranked - at all - by what is now the 247 database.  They did have him listed (when it was Scout.com) tho

https://247sports.com/player/leighton-vander-esch-75745/

 

I know LVE wasn't the best.  I'm just saying if you look at Paradis and LVE.... not to bad!!  BTW, raised in Wyoming being a SA is in our nature. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bronco355 said:

Would LVE be a 5 star now recruited by every program in the nation?

If you're asking if you re-look at his highlight tape? No.  The dude was not a 5* guy coming out of high school - and it really took him 2 years in the weight room and practice field to be good enough to play for BSU.  Hard to judge vs. 8-man competition and most of his film was him playing Quarterback - while athletic, he didn't have the fundementals or QB skills to play that position in college. He made insane strides while here at LB and the rest is history.

Here's highlights from his senior year (mostly at QB).  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If you're asking if you re-look at his highlight tape? No.  The dude was not a 5* guy coming out of high school - and it really took him 2 years in the weight room and practice field to be good enough to play for BSU.  Hard to judge vs. 8-man competition and most of his film was him playing Quarterback - while athletic, he didn't have the fundementals or QB skills to play that position in college. He made insane strides while here at LB and the rest is history.

Here's highlights from his senior year (mostly at QB).  

 

 

LVE was probably the best HS player in Idaho as a senior.

Those numeric player ratings are not gospel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

I hope BSU offers Vallivue’s QB Larison - exciting player with D1 athleticism...not sure if he plays QB though in college.

Dan Hawkins going to get him it looks like.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 10:51 AM, 1977Grad said:

IDAHO 5-A PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Nick Romano, Rocky Mountain

The 5-10, 195-pound senior was a threat to take it the distance every time he touched the ball with his vision, toughness and home-run speed. He ran for a 5A-leading 2,221 yards and 32 TDs at 9.1 yards per carry. He committed to Idaho over Idaho State and Georgetown.

“Everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he stilled balled out,” Borah coach Jason Burton said. “He is the reason they are undefeated and state champs.”

The above came from the Statesman article on the top Idaho football players this year.  According to this he has committed to play for the Van-holes in Moscow.  But that is not indicated on his 247 webpage.  According to the latter he has only one offer (Idaho) but is uncommitted.

 

Ended up signing with the Vandals...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking in on the top rated recruits on 247 from the class of 2019:

1. Keegan Duncan - Boise State

2. Cale Edwards - Montana

3. Garrett Beck - Weber State

4. Carson Fugleberg - Idaho State after mission

5. Jack Vering - Montana State

6. Joey Elwell - Montana

7. Alex Ojukwu - College of Idaho

8. Nick Romano - Idaho

9. Kevin Eldredge - Idaho

10. Cayden Loveland -  Carroll College

11. Dylan Martinez - College of Idaho

12. Caden Clark - Idaho State

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Class of 2020 has six guys rated as 3* already.

---

1.Gaard Memmelar (Middleton OT) - Washington commit

2. Austin Bolt (Borah WR) - offers from Utah State, Idaho, and ISU

3. Tanoa Togai (Rigby DE) - offers from BYU and Utah

4. Shane Jennings (Gooding QB) - offers from Utah State, Idaho, and ISU

5. Andy Peters (Timberline QB) - offer from ISU

6. Keegan Thompson (Rigby QB) - currently no offers

----

There are a handful of other guys with lone offers from ISU plus Lan Larison who has committed to UC Davis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

Class of 2020 has six guys rated as 3* already.

---

1.Gaard Memmelar (Middleton OT) - Washington commit

2. Austin Bolt (Borah WR) - offers from Utah State, Idaho, and ISU

3. Tanoa Togai (Rigby DE) - offers from BYU and Utah

4. Shane Jennings (Gooding QB) - offers from Utah State, Idaho, and ISU

5. Andy Peters (Timberline QB) - offer from ISU

6. Keegan Thompson (Rigby QB) - currently no offers

----

There are a handful of other guys with lone offers from ISU plus Lan Larison who has committed to UC Davis.

Utah State offensive coordinator Mike Sanford working hard in Idaho.  Hate to see none of these kids with Boise offers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 10:51 AM, 1977Grad said:

IDAHO 5-A PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Nick Romano, Rocky Mountain

The 5-10, 195-pound senior was a threat to take it the distance every time he touched the ball with his vision, toughness and home-run speed. He ran for a 5A-leading 2,221 yards and 32 TDs at 9.1 yards per carry. He committed to Idaho over Idaho State and Georgetown.

“Everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he stilled balled out,” Borah coach Jason Burton said. “He is the reason they are undefeated and state champs.”

The above came from the Statesman article on the top Idaho football players this year.  According to this he has committed to play for the Van-holes in Moscow.  But that is not indicated on his 247 webpage.  According to the latter he has only one offer (Idaho) but is uncommitted.

So apparently the very best player in Idaho can't get a scholarship offer from Boise State these days - just a Preferred Walk On offer.

Maybe he isn't the best player in Idaho if he has no offers.

I was the best running back in Nevada by yards gained 2 years running in high school and my senior year I played about half the time at QB.   I played center in college.

High school ball is a different beast, even dominant players are often not good enough for college ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, Bluerules said:

Maybe he isn't the best player in Idaho if he has no offers.

I was the best running back in Nevada by yards gained 2 years running in high school and my senior year I played about half the time at QB.   I played center in college.

High school ball is a different beast, even dominant players are often not good enough for college ball.

Yeah, but did you ever score 4 touchdowns in one game?

Image result for al bundy gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, but did you ever score 4 touchdowns in one game?

Image result for al bundy gif

I know you think you're funny but this is a joke on you not me.

Any future college running back probably scored 4 td's in a game several times if not more than that.

 

I scored 6 td's in a game, 5 in the first quarter.  I returned 4 punts for td's.  The band wouldn't even finish the school song before they had to start again.  When Whittel had the majority of their Varsity kicked off the team for a drinking party the night before and we had to play their JV and probably a couple of retards like you who couldn't get a party invite.

The last 3 quarters of the game they made me switch and play for Whittel and I scored another TD for them.  

 

Edited by Bluerules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×