Sign in to follow this  
bsu_alum9

Florida State Preview

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/5/17/18617508/florida-state-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

2018 record and S&P+ ranking: 5-7 (71st)

Projected 2019 record and S&P+ ranking: 7-5 (28th)

Five key points:

1. FSU learned a valuable lesson in 2018: a bad offensive line can wreck your plans. Every single one of them.
  2. After enduring the Noles’ first losing season in more than 40 years, Taggart hopes controversial (and effective) offensive coordinator Kendal Briles is the key to a turnaround.
  3. With QB James Blackman and a deep receiving corps, Briles should find plenty to like about his new passing game. And hey, the OL almost literally can’t be worse.
  4. The defense was doomed by field position and bad turnovers luck and could struggle with Briles’ tempo, but with DT Marvin Wilson, LB Dontavious Jackson, and safety Jaiden Lars-Woodbey, there are stars at every level.
  5. The schedule is loaded with tossups. If the Briles offense sticks, 9-3 or 10-2 is possible. But a 1-2 start and an anxiety-heavy fall, are also on the table.

4 hours ago, Spazdog said:

Not me.  I want FSU to start 0-1 and the win out.

14-0 Boise State

13-1 Florida State

---

Would be a potential way to get a G5 into the playoff. 

• Like 1

I think our Defense will give their new offense fits. They get to try their new offense against us. Good luck with that.

Our special teams should be much improved. 

Big question mark at QB for BSU. 

He was projected to be a starter at OT last year but only played in 3 games due to injury.  Then projected to start again next year before transferring. Good news for Curtis Weaver.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, Williamhicks said:

I think our Defense will give their new offense fits. They get to try their new offense against us. Good luck with that.

Our special teams should be much improved. 

Big question mark at QB for BSU. 

Our defense struggled against the run vs. Oklahoma State.  I think we will have to score more than 28 to win.

12 hours ago, Spot50B said:

Our defense struggled against the run vs. Oklahoma State.  I think we will have to score more than 28 to win.

Maeva was a liability that game. Moa hurt. This will be different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spot50B said:

7 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

Maeva was a liability that game. Moa hurt. This will be different.

This will be one of the most experienced defenses Boise has had in quite some time. 7 of the 11 projected starters are multi-year starters and all 11 have started multiple games. 

I really like this defense.  Great, experienced players with chemistry and a chip on their shoulder.  This defense plays well together.  The defense will keep us in the game.  The question mark to me is the offense.  But I trust that Zak Hill will get them dialed in, too.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Spazdog said:

I really like this defense.  Great, experienced players with chemistry and a chip on their shoulder.  This defense plays well together.  The defense will keep us in the game.  The question mark to me is the offense.  But I trust that Zak Hill will get them dialed in, too.

Yeah, the defense is solid all over. The two areas that injuries could cause some trouble is LB and CB. Losing both Maeva, Heffner, and Dez Williams prematurely in the same year hurt the depth there. CB, there just isn't a lot of experienced depth which is why they brought in grad transfer Buffalo. Also, losing someone like Weaver, who is an AA and 1st round draft pick candidate would obviously hurt too. 

Maybe I should be, but I'm not concerned with the offense. At RB, Boise had produced an AC RB for 20 years, so they should be fine there. Especially with all the experience coming back at OL. They were dominant in the run game by the end of the year. Add in three 4**** RBs (four if you count Khalil Shakir, who lines up in the backfield sometimes), there should be production there. WR and TE has a much talent as I can remember. That leaves QB which is another position that Boise almost always comes up with an AC player. I'm fairly certain it'll be Cord. With his mobility, the OL, the strength at RB, and strong defense, it seems like the run game should be strong enough to put him in favorable positions. I'd really like to see Boise run the ball 60% of the time. 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'd really like to see Boise run the ball 60% of the time. 

With these WRs?  No thanks.  I'm not a fan of Rocky Long - Craig Bohl style of offense.

58 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

With these WRs?  No thanks.  I'm not a fan of Rocky Long - Craig Bohl style of offense.

The 2007 Fiesta Bowl team ran the ball 65% of the time. Running plays can mean a lot of things. That means QB options, RPOs, read options, QB draws, end arounds, fly sweeps, wildcat... all of which Boise has in the playbook. You're gunna see Khalil and Hightower running the ball, so there are ways to get the ball into the WRs hands without throwing it every down. They'll throw it too, but Boise has always run the ball more than they throw it. They are usually somewhere between 52-58% run heavy. Harsin's most run heavy team was 58% run... which happened to be the Fiesta Bowl team. 

With the defense being a strength, a veteran OL, and an inexperienced QB, it makes sense to lean on the strengths and not rely on the most inexperienced part of the team. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kingpotato said:

The 2007 Fiesta Bowl team ran the ball 65% of the time. Running plays can mean a lot of things. That means QB options, RPOs, read options, QB draws, end arounds, fly sweeps, wildcat... all of which Boise has in the playbook. You're gunna see Khalil and Hightower running the ball, so there are ways to get the ball into the WRs hands without throwing it every down. They'll throw it too, but Boise has always run the ball more than they throw it. They are usually somewhere between 52-58% run heavy. Harsin's most run heavy team was 58% run... which happened to be the Fiesta Bowl team. 

With the defense being a strength, a veteran OL, and an inexperienced QB, it makes sense to lean on the strengths and not rely on the most inexperienced part of the team. 

Yeah, but 2004 and 2006 were the only years in the last two decades with >60%.  A lot of that extra 5% those years were because they were blowing teams out badly and running the ball in the second half.  That could be the case after a lot of games this year.  Also, Portland State, CSU, New Mexico, SJSU, Hawaii, and UNLV all had bad rushing defenses last year. So you may be on to something.  

Hopefully AVB (or whoever starts at RB) averages 6+ yards per carry like Johnson did in 2006!  And if the QB could average more than the 2 ypc that Zabransky had - we could have a dominating balanced offense like 2014 (just hopefully without the interceptions).